Trick or treaters ages 13 and under may collect candy safely at the free Trunk or Treat Halloween night sponsored by the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office. The event will be from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31 in front of the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center at 940 New Salem Highway.
Children will collect candy from trunks of sheriff’s cruisers, Rutherford County Fire and Rescue volunteer fire engines, a Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue fire engine, a Murfreesboro Police cruiser and an ambulance from Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services. The sheriff’s office will also distribute safety clip on reflectors.
Sheriff Robert F. Arnold said the event will allow children to walk from truck to trunk of emergency vehicles rather than go door-to-door in neighborhoods.
“Trick or treating at the sheriff’s office will be a safe and fun environment for children,” Arnold said. “We appreciate the other public safety agencies joining with us so children can celebrate.”
The Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office and the National Child Safety Council offered these tips for Halloween safety:
* Look both ways before crossing the street and always watch for traffic.
* Walk, never run, across yards. Use sidewalks whenever possible.
* Put reflective tape on all bags and costumes.
* Have an adult check your treats before you eat.
* Only go to homes of people you know and those who have the porch light on.
* Trick or treat in a group of four or five. Take along a trusted adult with a flashlight.
* Choose a safe, well-lit path in your neighborhood.
* Costumes should be flame-retardant, made of light or bright colored material and short enough not to trip children.
* Use face paint, not a full face mask, to see well.