Almost like waving a wand over the downtown area, the sounds of a bustling city seemed to fade into the background with the tolling of a bell precisely at 9:00 o'clock Thursday morning (5/18/2017). That's when the annual Peace Officers Memorial Ceremony took place on the Civic Plaza in front of the Murfreesboro City Hall.
Under sunny skies with temperatures in the mid 70s, this community will said "thank you" to law enforcement officers--especially those who have made the supreme sacrifice.
Murfreesboro Polie Captain Cary Gensemer served as host of the memorial tribute, and Officer Skylar Harris sang the National Anthem.
Murfreesboro Mayor Shane McFarland was the keynote speaker.
Over the decades, nine officers have made given their all while serving the members of our community:
- Trooper William H. James, Tennessee Highway Patrol, September 14, 1942
- Officer Herbert McClanahan, Murfreesboro Police Department, December 16, 1946
- Deputy Marshal Sam Vaughn, US Marshall Service, August 8, 1953
- Trooper Lewis R. Hendon, Tennessee Highway Patrol, June 15, 1957
- Officer Joseph "Butch" Tomlinson Jr., Murfreesboro Police Department, October 28, 1999
- Officer Kay Rogers, Murfreesboro Police Department, November 9, 2005
- Captain Byron Motley, Murfreesboro Police Department, July 22, 2006
- Officer Matt Lovejoy, Murfreesboro Police Department, June 22, 2007
- Trooper Andy Wall, Tennessee Highway Patrol, May 7, 2011
Hear the WGNS' broadcast from the Murfreesboro Civic Plaza