Twenty-three local businesses have been padlocked by the Rutherford County Sheriffs Office after an investigation for allegedly selling candy containing a form of marijuana.
Sheriff Mike Fitzhugh noted that complaints from parents brought about the "Operation Candy Crush" investigation.
Undercover agents purchased the candy that reportedly contained cannabidiol (CBD) and other synthetic drugs.
The sheriff noted that CBD is an illegal drug that is sold as a liquid and used in candy looking products such as gummy bears as well as for use a vapors.
Prices paid by the agents for these products ranged from $7 to $70.
Twenty-one people were indicted in "Operation Candy Crush". Some of the chemical in the products are synthetic drugs linked to two death in the United States, and court hearings are pending.
Sheriff Fitzhugh named the businesses that had been padlocked:
- Vapesboro 1675 Middle Tennessee Boulevard
- Stop-N-Go 1624B New Salem Highway
- Stop-N-Shop 490 Andrews Drive
- Enchanted Planet 109 East Lytle Street
- T&B Tobacco & Beer 5524 N.W. Broad Street
- Quick Stop Discount Tobacco and Beer 1722 S. Rutherford Boulevard
- 99 Cents Discount Tobacco 3325 Memorial Boulevard
- Kaleidoscope, 3325 Memorial Boulevard
- Y&H Discount Tobacco and Beer 2075 Lascassas Pike
- A&M Tobacco & Beer 2075 Lascassas Pike
- Kaleidoscope 2992 S. Church St.
- Magical Vapors 517 W. Main St.
- Kwik Sak 1219 Hazelwood Drive, TN
- Vape & Smoke 901 Rock Springs Road
- Stop & Shop Tobacco & Beer 901 Rock Springs Road
- One Stop Shop Tobacco & Beer 1872 Almaville Road
- Magical Vapors 504 East Enon Springs Road
- Cloud 9 and 105 Jefferson Street
- Waldron Market 606 Waldron Road
- Family Market Discount Tobacco and Beer 546 Waldron Road
- Tobacco Brew & Chew 5104 Waldron Road
- La Vergne Vapor, 5234 Murfreesboro Road
In the County:
- Last Stop Market 6858 Lascassas Pike.