(KNOXVILLE) A shooting at Knoxville's Austin-East Arts Magnet School Monday (4/12/2021) has left one student dead and 20-year Knoxville Police Officer Adam Wilson is in UT Medical Center with serious injuries. Wilson serves as a School Resource Officer at Austin-East.
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation held a press conference, and TBI Director David Rausch described what happened . . .
Rausch said the officers were wearing body cameras, and pictures of the shooting are being studied with evidence being given to the Knox County District Attorney.
General Assembly Addresses Shooting
Tennessee State Representative Sam McKenzie, an Austin East alumni and the legislator representing that area, said, "I am at a loss to describe my sadness as yet another horrific act of gun violence has happened in my community. This is the fourth unnecessary shooting involving the Austin East community this year and we must make sure we take every step and make every effort to prevent these tragedies from continuing to occur.”
State Representative Mike Sparks (R-TN) was on the House floor just after Representative McKenzie spoke to the body about the Knoxville school shooting. Sparks told NewsRadio WGNS . . .
U.S. Senator Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) said, “I am heartbroken to hear about the shooting at Austin-East Magnet High School in Knoxville. My office has been briefed on the situation and I am praying for the community, including the officer injured in the line of duty.”
The Knox County Schools announced that Austin-East Arts Magnet School will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
Time Line at Austin East community:
- Jan. 27, 2021 17-year-old suspected of shooting and killing 15-year-old Justin Taylor
- Feb. 12, 2021 16-year old Stanley Freeman Jr. was pronounced deceased at UT Medical Center after he was found unresponsive in a crashed vehicle on Wilson Avenue. Police say he was leaving school in his vehicle when shots were fired.
- Feb. 16, 2021 15-year old Janaria Muhammad was shot to death near Cherry Street at Selma Avenue.
- March 9, 2021 15-year old Jamarion “Lil DaDa” Gillette, a former Austin-East student, showed up at UT Medical Center with gunshot wounds.
- March 15, 2021 Knox County District Attorney announced that 14 and 16-year old youth face charges related to the three shootings, including the death of Stanley Freeman, Jr. on Feb. 12, 2021.
Again, a Monday afternoon shooting at Knoxville's Austin-East Magnet School has left one student dead after he reportedly shot at officers, and 20-year Knoxville Police Officer Adam Wilson is in UT Medical Center with serious injuries. Wilson serves as a School Resource Officer at Austin-East.
The name of the student has not been released.