(Murfreesboro) St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital warns that a good tan is not always healthy. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States, and it is also the most preventable. According to the American Cancer Society, skin cancer can be prevented by avoiding UV lights, either from the sun or tanning beds.
However, if you plan to spend time outside, physicians at Saint Thomas Health recommend following these five tips to make sure you are protected at all times:
- Stay in the shade, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wear clothes that cover the arms and legs.
- Wear a hat that shades the face, head, ears and neck.
- Wear sunglasses that block UVA and UVB rays.
- Use sunscreen with sun protection of 15 or more, with UVA and UVB protection.
To speak with a physician at Saint Thomas Health to ensure that you are staying safe in the sun, contact me at 931-247-3527.