A proposal is before lawmakers to create a "concealed only" permit which will cost the taxpayers about $1 million per year and will rename the existing permit as an "enhanced" permit.
The bill states, "As introduced, creates a concealed handgun carry permit, which allows a person to carry a concealed handgun; re-designates the existing handgun carry permit as an enhanced handgun carry permit."
The concealed gun permit will be easier to obtain when compared to the current handgun permit.
Highlights of the differences between enhanced
handgun carry permit and concealed only - carry permit:
○ A concealed handgun carry permit will only authorize the holder to carry in a concealed manner.
○ Applicants for enhanced handgun carry permit must submit fingerprints for the TBI and FBI to run a criminal history background check.
○ Applicants for a concealed handgun carry permit will only be required to undergo a name-based criminal history check.
○ The application fee for an enhanced handgun carry permit is $100. There will not be an application fee for a concealed handgun carry permit.
○ Local government may not prohibit an enhanced handgun carry permit holder from possessing a handgun on public property UNLESS the local government provides a security system with metal detectors and inspection by trained personnel.
○ Local government WILL NOT BE REQUIRED to provide metal detectors and security inspections in order to prohibit concealed handgun carry permit holders from possessing firearms on public property.