NewsRadio WGNS has learned that Murfreesboro Fire Rescue responded to a home fire at 2448 Janell Court just before 6:00 Saturday (11/17/2018) morning. The crews arrived to find the two story home's garage fully involved and making its way into the house.
Crews from District 9, Engine 10, and Ladder 2 were able to extinguish the fire quickly. However, the garage will likely be a total loss according to Battalion Chief Mark McCluskey.
McCluskey also says that the hallway and utility room off of the garage received some fire damage, and the home received heavy smoke damage throughout.
One of the residents and a friend were home at the time the fire started. "They heard the smoke alarm going off and actually thought it was part of a movie they were watching, " said McCluskey. "They muted the television and kept hearing the alarm, so they investigated and quickly got outside to call 9-1-1."
They were able to get one dog out with them and McCluskey said another ran out the back door, but they were able to get it back as well. No injuries to persons or animals were associated with the incident.
The family will be displaced, but did not require assistance from the Red Cross.
McCluskey said the fire started in the garage and appears accidental, but the Fire Marshal's Office has been called to conduct a routine investigation.