The REAL ID Act goes into effect on October 1, 2020. By then, all persons must have a REAL ID license for boarding commercial flights within the United States, accessing certain federal facilities, and entering nuclear facilities and military bases.
The REAL ID Act of 2005 established minimum security standards for license issuance and production and prohibits federal agencies from accepting for certain purposes driver licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet the Act's minimum standards.
Already Being Issued:
The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security (TDOSHS) began issuing REAL IDs July 1, 2019 and has issued more than 156,601 REAL ID credentials to date. Those IDs are marked with a gold star at the top of them.
You do NOT need a REAL ID only a Standard ID to:
• Purchase alcohol or cigarettes
• Access hospitals
• Visit the post office
• Access federal courts
• Apply for or receive federal benefits such as social security or veterans' benefits
What You Need to Get Real ID:
• Proof to establish citizenship or legal presence
• Proof of your full Social Security Number
• Two proofs of Tennessee residency
• B e prepared to provide documentation of any name changes that may have occurred.
• All documents must be originals or certified. No photocopies accepted.
View the complete list of document options to apply for a REAL ID compliant credential.
Tennesseans are strongly encouraged to apply for a REAL ID in time to meet the October 1, 2020 deadline.