Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department's District 1 responded to a fire alarm at First Baptist Church located at 200 East Main Street shortly before 8:00 Wednesday morning.
Crews arrived on scene, just across the street from the fire department Headquarters, and immediately smelled smoke. They checked the building for the source and found that the issue was in the basement of the church.
According to Engine 15 Captain Jamie Bigelow, the smoke appeared to have been the result of a burned up air conditioning motor. There was no fire present; however, the removal of the smoke from the basement proved difficult for the crews.
Bigelow called for Rescues 7 and 8 to bring more fans to assist with smoke removal. Crews also used the fire doors in the corridors to help direct smoke out of the building.
“Unfortunately, the church had to cancel vacation bible school for the day, but will be able to resume tomorrow,” said Bigelow. “The church staff was very helpful in giving our crews information concerning the air unit and MFRD personnel did a wonderful job getting the smoke under control.”
Ashley McDonald, Administrative Support Specialist/Public Information Officer
Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department