House Fire in Rockvale



Fire damaged about 80 percent of a home late Thursday night in the Rockvale community. Chief Larry Farley of Rutherford County Fire Rescue says the exterior kitchen door was engulfed in flames and smoke was visible from the windows when Deputy Christopher Erwin arrived. Robert Rickman has the story...

VERBATIM:

The home owner, Robert Register of Old Jackson Ridge Road, was using a hose to try to put out the fire at the time. Farley reports his sister, Debra Register, was cooking when she went outside to smoke.

Chief Farley says volunteers from Rutherford County Fire Rescue and Eagleville Volunteer Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire with about 100 gallons of water.

Though there was some smoke damage throughout the house, only a portion of the roof and kitchen area had any fire damage and the framework of the house remained intact, the chief reported.

Deputy Erwin reported Debra Register was in the kitchen cooking when she went outside to smoke. Her brother, Larry, who lives nearby, saw the flames and notified his siblings. Firefighters helped the family retrieve personal belongings from the bedroom. The American Red Cross arrived to help the family who reported they had a place to stay.