The original structure in which the Rutherford County Hospital was located is now just a memory. That building was built in 1927 with a grant from the Commonwealth Fund of New York. The old hospital has now been totally demolished.
Commonwealth built a twin structure to the hospital at the corner of North Church and West Burton Streets. The former health department is now used as Drug Court facilities.
After over a year of seeking a new owner for the structure, Middle Tennessee Medical Center decided to take down all of the buildings between Highland, University, Bell and Lytle Streets. Reports indicate that it was costing over a million dollars annually to maintain and keep the empty structure secure. Officials decided that the land alone would be of more interest to developers. That appears to be accurate, as reliable sources indicate several parties have shown interest in the land.