Halloween is a time for ghosts, ghouls, and goblins, but have you thought about the very real dangers that could ensnare you and make your life a nightmare?
What if a trick-or treater falls on your property or a candle sets fire to your seasonal decoration? There's little to fear -- if you have the right insurance coverage in place.
The Insurance Information Institute points out that standard homeowners and renters insurance will provide coverage for the following.
In the event your home or your personal possessions are damaged by neighborhood tricksters, homeowners and renters insurance policies provide coverage for vandalism and malicious mischief. You are on your own, however, when it comes to removing the toilet paper from your front yard.
If a jack-o-lantern, or other decoration, goes up in flames and damages your property, your homeowners or renters policy will cover fire-related losses. If the blaze makes your home uninhabitable, additional living expenses (ALE) coverage will pay for alternate accommodations, such as a hotel, while your home is being repaired.
The liability portion of a homeowners or renters policy comes into play if a Halloween party guest, or a trick-or-treater is injured while at your house or apartment. These policies also include no-fault medical coverage so the injured person can file their claim directly with your insurer. If Fido gets a little skittish from all the commotion and accidently nips a trick-or-treater your liability coverage includes damages or injuries caused by pets.
TRICK OR TREATING Schedule:
- Trick or Treating on the Murfreesboro Square is from 3pm to 6pm, 10/31 - Friday
- Trick or Treating at Stones River Mall is from 5pm to 7pm (Costume contest at 6pm), 10/31 - Friday
- Rutherford County Sheriff's Office 5pm to 8pm, 10/31 - Friday
- Lighthouse Baptist on Thompson Lane 5pm to 8pm, 10/31 - Friday
- Stones River Baptist 6pm to 8pm, 10/31 - Friday
- Living Truth Christian Center 6pm to 8pm, 10/31 - Friday
- (Thursday 10/30) Smyrna YMCA (WGNS WILL BE HERE) 5pm to 8pm
Kip Diggs, State Farm Insurance - Enterprise Public Affairs Serving Kentucky & Tennessee