Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department's District 1 and District 2 were dispatched to a truck fire at the Pilot gas station at 2441 S. Church at around 10 p.m. on Saturday Night.
On the scene, firefighters found the cab of the truck with heavy flames. The truck, based out of Indiana, had finished his route and the trailer was empty at the time the fire began. The driver, who was in the sleeper and escaped, stated he smelled smoke and saw flames coming from the engine area. The cab was a total loss and the trailer was undamaged. One additional truck suffered minor damage from the heat.
Firefighters on the scene pooled their own money to purchase the driver socks and shoes from a nearby Walmart, who was barefoot when he exited the truck. The cause of the fire appears to be mechanical, according to Fire Investigator Michael Bartlett.
MFRD's Engine 5 and District 9 responded to a possible house fire at 4228 Birch Drive around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. On the scene, crews found fire in an attic storage area after an outside dog house with a heat lamp inside caught on fire and traveled up the sided home into the attic. Two adults and four children were home at the time of the fire and were awakened by "noise in the attic". The attic area and rear of the home were damaged.
Commander Maynard states that the family was not able to stay in the home and declined Red Cross assistance. Two dogs were not injured. The home did have working smoke alarms.