Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue responded to a fire on Tuesday



Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue responded to a fire on Tuesday | Chelsea Place, apartment fire, fire, Murfreesboro fire, Murfreesboro news

Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue units responded to Chelsea Place Apartments on Bradyville Pike early Tuesday morning for a fire on the deck area of an upstairs unit.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and keep the fire damage to a minimum.

"Smoking materials appeared to be the cause of the fire," said Captain/Shift Inspector Brian Lowe.

Lowe wants to remind smokers that the home is where most smoking-materials structure fires, deaths, and injures occur.

"Smokers should always take caution when discarding cigarettes," said Lowe. "Cigarettes should be smothered in a deep, sturdy ashtray and placed away from anything that can burn."

Lowe added, "Smoking materials should never be discarded in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants, landscaping, or other things that could easily ignite."

MFRD urges smokers to be sure that butts and ashes are out, by dousing them in water or sand, before throwing them away.

Need safety tips?

For more information on Smoking and Home Fire Safety, please visit: http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/DocumentCenter/View/230.