The holiday season is a time when people can become vulnerable to theft and other crimes. The Murfreesboro Police Department will have officers conducting bicycle patrol, foot patrol, undercover operations, and traffic enforcement throughout the city throughout the holiday season. The MPD Crime Prevention Section would like to offer the following safety tips to help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season. For more information about crime prevention or to start a Neighborhood Watch in your area, contact Officer Amy Norville at 895-3874.
- Report suspicious activity by calling the non-emergency phone number for Police Communications (615-893-1311). If there is an emergency, dial 911.
- Use the free program “ReportIt” to make a personal inventory of your new purchase - https://reportit.leadsonline.com/
- Always shop with a friend or family member.
- Do not carry a large amount of cash.
- Notify the credit card issuer and police immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas. Wear your purse across the body to keep your hands free for your keys, both when heading to your car and into your home.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason.
- Park your car in a well-lit area and keep track of where it is parked.
- Be careful what you post online. Don't alert others that you aren't at home.
- Hide purchases from view or place items in your trunk to prevent break-ins.
- Lock your vehicle doors every time you leave your vehicle.
Before you make any online purchases, consider the following advice:
- Make sure you are buying from a secure site and reputable stores. Make sure the URL begins with HTTPS along with the small padlock icon in the address bar when in the payment steps.
- Make sure your computer’s security software is up to date.
- Use a different password at every site. The password should be a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Never give money orders or credit card information through email.