New and returning MTSU student veterans and their families are welcome to attend a "newcomers briefing" provided by the Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center.
The event will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 19, in Cantrell Hall of the Tom H. Jackson Building, 628 Alma Mater Drive.
The briefing is to ensure veterans and their families are up to speed on campus resources, said Dr. Hilary Miller, center director.
Miller and her staff are targeting new-to-MTSU student veterans and family members, but it is open to all military-connected students, she said.
"Our goal is to make sure they have on-campus contacts for all offices that can help them be successful," Miller said. "In addition, we want them to know the center staff, be connected to us and know other student veterans."
The agenda includes:
• Dinner from 5 to 5:30 p.m.
• Welcome, introduction of staff and center's mission, led by Keith M. Huber, senior adviser for veterans and leadership initiatives and retired U.S. Army lieutenant general.
• Veterans' introductions.
• Current center programs and fall semester events, led by Miller.
• MTSU and the veterans' relationship, led by Dr. Derek Frisby, veteran, MTSU alumnus and faculty member in the Global Studies and Cultural Geography program in the College of Liberal Arts.
• Discovering campus resources (includes tours and information about G.I. Bill, VetSuccess on Campus, tutoring and more).
• College challenge from Miller, emphasizing graduation and employment expectations.
Student veterans can RSVP for the event by emailing Jennifer Brown at Jennifer.Brown@mtsu.edu or call 615-904-8347.
To find the location and parking, visit http://tinyurl.com/MTSUParkingMap.