(MURFREESBORO) For the second year, Murfreesboro Police Department's Annual Peace Officers Memorial Day Service will be held at 10:00 o'clock this morning (Thursday, 5/16/2019) in the Memorial Garden at the new headquarters building at 1004 Highland Avenue. The public is encouraged to attend.
The purpose of the ceremony is to remember and pay tribute to all law enforcement officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice, with a special emphasis on those officers who were killed in the line of duty while serving in Rutherford County.
The ceremony will include officers from all law enforcement agencies serving in Rutherford County including: Murfreesboro Police Department, Rutherford County Sheriff's Office, Smyrna Police Department, LaVergne Police Department, MTSU Public Safety, Tennessee Highway Patrol, U.S. Marshall Service, Veterans Administration Hospital Police Department, and Eagleville Police Department.
Chief Michael Bowen will preside over the ceremony and family members of the slain officers will be in attendance.
- Trooper William H. James, Tennessee Highway Patrol, September 14, 1942
- Officer Herbert McClanahan, Murfreesboro Police Department, December 16, 1946
- Deputy Marshal Sam Vaughn, US Marshall Service, August 8, 1953
- Trooper Lewis R. Hendon, Tennessee Highway Patrol, June 15, 1957
- Officer Joseph "Butch" Tomlinson Jr., Murfreesboro Police Department, October 28, 1999
- Officer Kay Rogers, Murfreesboro Police Department, November 9, 2005
- Captain Byron Motley, Murfreesboro Police Department, July 22, 2006
- Officer Matt Lovejoy, Murfreesboro Police Department, June 22, 2007
- Trooper Andy Wall, Tennessee Highway Patrol, May 7, 2011