(Murfreesboro) The local Red Cross has issued an emergency call for blood and platelet donations. They particularly need donors of all blood types, especially type O, to give now to address a severe blood shortage.
Red Cross blood donations are being distributed to hospitals faster than they are coming in, and right now there is less than a five-day blood supply on hand. The Red Cross strives to keep a five-day supply of blood to meet the needs of patients and to be prepared for emergencies that require significant volumes of donated blood products.
"Patients don't get a summer break from the need for lifesaving treatments, so it is critical that hospitals have access to blood products each and every day," said Mario Sedlock, director of donor recruitment of the Tennessee Valley Blood Services Region. "We sincerely appreciate those who have responded to the call to help save lives, but the emergency need remains. Those who haven't rolled up a sleeve to give are urged to do so today."
There is a particular need for type O blood, which plays an important role in ongoing patient care and emergencies. Type O positive is the most transfused blood type and can be given to patients with any Rh-positive blood type. Type O negative is the universal blood type and can be given to any patient. It's what emergency room personnel reach for when there is no time to determine the blood type of patients in the most serious situations.
$5 Amazon Gift Card
In thanks, all those who come to donate blood or platelets July 30 through Aug. 30, 2018, will receive a $5 Amazon.com Gift Card via email. (Restrictions apply; see amazon.com/gc-legal. More information and details are available at RedCrossBlood.org/Together.)
Locations To Donate
- Exit Realty, 2630 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 8/2/2018: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- First Presbyterian Church, 210 N. Spring St. , Murfreesboro, TN 37130 8/2/2018: noon - 6 p.m.
- First Community Mortgage, 262 Robert Rose Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37129 8/10/2018: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Wal-Mart, 570 Enon Springs Road, Smyrna, TN 37167 8/7/2018: noon - 5 p.m.
Also at Murfreesboro Red Cross (501 Memorial Blvd.)
- 7/29/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 7/30/2018: 12:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- 8/1/2018: 12:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- 8/2/2018: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- 8/3/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/4/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/5/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/6/2018: 12:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- 8/8/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- 8/9/2018: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- 8/10/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/11/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/12/2018: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- 8/13/2018: 12:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- 8/15/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.