Saturday Morning Fire Displaces Three in Murfreesboro
An early morning fire has displaced three residents from their apartment in Northfield Commons (2325 Willowbrook Drive). Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department’s Districts 1, 3, and 8 responded to the apartments around 4:30 Saturday morning.
When crews arrived on scene, smoke was visible at building “G”. According to Shift Commander Dale Maynard, crews were able to put the fire out quickly. “It didn't take too much to put the fire out,” he said, “but there was major heat in the unit.”
Only one of the three residents was home when the fire started. “The smoke detector activated and woke the resident,” said Maynard. “This prompted her to open her bedroom door; that is when she discovered what she described as ‘smoke as high as her head.’” Maynard went on to say, “In this case, the smoke detector most definitely saved a life.”
The resident was able to make it to safety with one of her cats before responders arrived. However, fire crews had to locate and rescue another cat.
Crews checked for extensions, but found none. The unit received significant smoke, fire, and water damage, but according to Maynard, heat played a large part in the damage. “We were very lucky that the fire was contained to this unit,” he said.
Officials on scene say the fire appears to have started in the dryer. MFRD’s Fire Marshal’s Office has been notified.
Assistance from the American Red Cross was offered for the family, but was declined.
Ashley McDonald, Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue