Volunteer firefighters fought a home fire on Paddock Drive Saturday night in freezing temperatures. According to the Rutherford County Sheriffs Office, the fire call came in shortly after 8:00 o'clock Saturday night (11/23/2013).
A passerby saw flames and called 911. That was fortunate, because a 14-year old was in the home and did not realize there was a fire.
Rutherford Fire Department Chief Larry Farley said, "The first responder reported fire on the left rear side of the home. It was near the deck and flames had gone up the vinyl siding and into the attic."
A full investigation is underway, but preliminary reports indicate it may have been caused by a faulty heat lamp that was on a chicken coup beside the deck in the rear of the Paddock Drive home. The teen told firefighters that the light was not turned on, but was plugged-in.
According to the telecommunicators at the sheriff's office, the first unit arrived on the scene at 8:16PM, the fire was reported to be "knocked down" and "under control" at 8:41PM. All units left the scene at 9:36PM.
Two units from from the Rutherford Volunteer Fire Department were on the scene. Chief Farley told WGNS News that a unit from Fosterville was dropping by the Rutherford Fire headquarters to fill their air tanks, when they were asked to help. Those volunteers were returning from fighting a blaze in their zone. They responded along with one unit from Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue.
Paddock Drive runs off Stoneybrook Drive, which is off the New Salem Highway near World Outreach Church.