Small Fire on Wednesday NOT Electric Transformer Related as Thought by Some Residents in Area
Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:00 am
UPDATE: Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department crews were dispatched to Old Salem Highway around 10:15 Wednesday morning after reports that a transformer was on fire in the area near a Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services station.
When MFRD’s Engine 15 arrived on scene, they located the fire just past the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) power lines. “Fortunately, it was not a transformer,” said Captain Jamie Bigelow. According to Bigelow, it ended up being a grass fire, most likely caused by a discarded cigarette.
Engine 15’s crew extinguished the fire and has left the scene.
Past Report from Murfreesboro Electric (from Tuesday):
The local electric company experienced a heavy load on Monday and Tuesday. Amy Byers with Murfreesboro Electric told us the power went out a couple of times...
Byers said bundle up and try to leave your thermostat at 68-degrees or less.
Ashley McDonald, Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue
Amy Byers, Murfreesboro Electric