Smoking in bed leads to fire in Murfreesboro

  Email   Print

Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department's Districts 4, 6, and 7 responded to an apartment fire located at 1911 Saddlebrook Drive (Saddlebrook Apartments) around 8:00 Thursday night.

Crews arrived on scene to visible flames from an upstairs unit. The unit's renter was already out of the apartment and the other seven units in the building were also evacuated.

The fire was located in a bedroom and according to Shift Commander Dale Maynard crews were able to get a quick stop on the fire, containing damage to the one affected unit.

The man that lived in the affected unit told crews that he had been smoking in bed and fell asleep. He was transported to Saint Thomas Rutherford for smoke inhalation and burns to his head and face areas.

Crews discovered a cat in the apartment. They carried the cat outside and used one of the department's pet rescue breathing masks to assist the animal with breathing. Firefighters transported the cat to a 24-hour veternarian, but unfortunately, it stopped breathing upon arrival.

All other residents were allowed to return to their apartments, as no other units received damage. No other injuries were associated with this incident.

The Fire Marshal's office was called to investigate the fire injury.

ADVERTISEMENT



Read more from:
News
Tags: 
1911 Saddlebrook Drive, Ashley McDonald, Murfreesboro fire, Saddlebrook apartments, Saddlebrook Drive
Share: 
  Email   Print
Related Articles
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: