Thursday Afternoon Blaze Badly Damages Saxony Ct. Home
Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:49 pm
Several units from Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue arrived around 4:00 o'clock Thursday afternoon (3/14/2013) to a home at 1715 Saxony Court that was fully engulfed in flames. Ricko and Kacye Washington have lived in the home for almost 15 years. An unnamed witness says that no one was home.
Mrs. Washington was at work in Nashville when she received word about the fire.
Murfreesboro Fire and Recsue's Captain Jamie Bigelow told WGNS News . . .Again, the phone number to call Captain Bigelow and get a smoke detector installed in your home by Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue is 615-849-2611.
The Thompson Lane fire station is only three blocks from the Saxony Court home, and they were on the scene almost instantly.
Visible From Most of City
Smoke could be seen from most areas of the city, and in the early stages of the fire--flames were visible for several miles. A steady flow on onlookers created grid-lock traffic conditions along the small side streets arond the fire.
Official Statement from Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue
Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department’s District 7, Ladder 6, Rescue 8, and Engines 4 and 15 responded to a single-family dwelling fire shortly after 4:00 Thursday afternoon.
Upon arrival, heavy smoke and flames were showing. Fortunately, all occupants were away from the home when the fire started and there were no injuries reported.
According to Assistant Fire Marshal Peas, the fire was located in the rear of the home in a covered patio/shed area. The fire also went into the roof/attic area of the home. “Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the blaze,” said Peas, “but it still took a good 30 minutes to knock down because of the size and amount of the flames.”
Peas was called to the scene to conduct a routine investigation. The home’s five occupants were displaced and the American Red Cross was called to assist.
Above photo: Picture taken by Assistant Chief Kaye Jernigan
Special thanks to neighbors who sent WGNS their photos of the Thursday afternoon fire on Saxony Court.
To show the magnitude of the blaze, some of the pictures below were made from the next street over, Wiltshire Drive.
A total of six units from Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue, along with paramedics from the Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services, were at the fire scene.
Firefighters Remained Late Into Evening
Firefighters from Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue remained at 1715 Saxony Court late into the evening as a precaution to put out any hot spots that might reignite. As darkness came over the neighborhood, a steady rain began--which further weted-down the home.
Throughout the evening, officers from the Murfreesboro Police Department kept the street closed.
It is very hard to overcome a fire
Overcoming a house fires is one of the most difficult tasks in life. Many people talk about how they never fully overcome the devastation. Others say they are able to move on within a couple of years.
Below is a link to a blog site (HubPages) where someone writes about the devastating loss of her home after a bathroom heater caught fire.
In dealing with the aftermath of a fire, the blogger wrote in 2010, “Shock affects your body in negative ways; you may not sleep, you may feel pain all over, your muscles may be stiff, you may experience a number of sensations and problems.”
WGNS’ Bart Walker was on the scene