UPDATED DATES: The Oakland High School teacher who was suspended without pay after a criminal investigation landed three charges of "Statutory Rape by an Authority Figure" against him is due in court on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
Social Studies teacher Tyler Soffiantino will appear before Judge David Bragg in a Rutherford County courtroom.
The suspect appeared for a preliminary hearing this past August and now the case is moving forward in a criminal courtroom.
Looking back, Soffiantino started his teaching suspension on April 17, 2017, as confirmed by the Rutherford County Schools. The suspension came when the criminal investigation began by the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office.
In addition to teaching Social Studies at Oakland High School in Murfreesboro, Soffiantino was also a P.E. Coach and an assistant boys basketball coach.
Prior to being hired at Oakland High School, the man spent time at Lebanon High School where he was a varsity assistant and head freshman basketball coach for two years.
Tyler Soffiantino is currently free on bond and is being represented by local attorney Guy Dotson, Jr. Again, he will appear in court on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
What is Statutory Rape by an Authority Figure in TN?
39-13-532. Statutory rape by an authority figure (a) Statutory rape by an authority figure is the unlawful sexual penetration of a victim by the defendant or of the defendant by the victim when:
- (1) The victim is at least thirteen (13) but less than eighteen (18) years of age;
- (2) The defendant is at least four (4) years older than the victim; and
- (3) The defendant was, at the time of the offense, in a position of trust, or had supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the defendant's legal, professional, or occupational status and used the position of trust or power to accomplish the sexual penetration; or
- (4) The defendant had, at the time of the offense, parental or custodial authority over the victim and used the authority to accomplish the sexual penetration.
- (b) Statutory rape by an authority figure is a Class C felony and no person who is found guilty of or pleads guilty to the offense shall be eligible for probation pursuant to § 40-35-303 or judicial diversion pursuant to § 40-35-313.
Rutherford County Sheriff's Office
Rutherford County Criminal Court Docket
PLEASE NOTE: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on WGNS are not an indication of guilt, or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.