WGNS has more news on COVID-19 and the Rutherford County school system.
The county schools report they are continuing to monitor the coronavirus spread rate. The rate at which COVID-19 is spread, which can change from day to day, will also play a role in deciding if schools remain open
During a MODERATE rating for COVID-19, Rutherford County Schools will consider closing down buildings if two factors are met. The factors that go into the thought of closing a school or schools are:
• Student Absenteeism Rate 5% above average
• Teacher Absenteeism Rate is 15% or higher
• Increasing Cases over a 14 day period
• 2 or More Active Cases
• Substitute Teacher Fill Rate is 10% below average
• If the Support Staff Absenteeism becomes a problem
Current numbers show that the active rate of cases of COVID-19 are on the decline in Rutherford County. To date, Rutherford County has had 7,179 COVID-19 cases and 61 related deaths. There are 2,398 active cases, as of Wednesday, August 19, 2020.