Amid a surge in violent crime that has many of the country's big cities on edge, the safety and security site SafeWise just released its annual report on 2021’s Most Dangerous Cities in the US.
Memphis had a violent crime rate of 11.07 violent crime incidents per 1,000 residents and a property crime rate of 39.9 per 1,000 residents according to the latest data from the FBI. The most recent data from the Memphis Data Hub shows violent crime is up nearly 9% from the previous year.
SAFEST IN TN: When looking at what cities are the safest in Tennessee, it looks as if Murfreesboro was ranked at number 67 on the list. The number 1 safest city in Tennessee was Church Hill, TN followed by Signal Mountain, TN.
Here’s a look at the rest of the top 10 most dangerous big cities:
*listed as Metropolitan Statistical Areas
1. Anchorage, AK
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3. Lubbock, TX
4. Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, MI
5. Springfield, MO
6. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA
7. Corpus Christi, TX
8. Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
9. Stockton, CA
10. Bakersfield, CA
• In Memphis, your risk of being a victim of violent crime in the last year was 1 in 90. Your risk of being a victim of property crime? 1 in 25.
• Your risk of being a victim of motor vehicle theft? 1 in 241.
• Your risk of being a victim of aggravated assault was 1 in 120. Your risk of being a victim of murder? 1 in 5,722.
Additional national findings:
• The percentage of people in the most dangerous metros who live below the poverty line is 27% higher than the US average.
• On average, households in the most dangerous cities bring in nearly $20,000 less than households in the safest metro areas.
• The most dangerous metros spend around 15% less on public safety than the safest big cities.
To rank the most dangerous big cities in the US, SafeWise analyzed the latest FBI crime data for every metro area in the US with a population of 300,000 or higher. To level the playing field, SafeWise calculated crime rates in each city per 1,000 people.
The 10 Safest "BIG" Cities in the United States:
1. Rockingham County-Strafford County, New Hampshire
2. Provo-Orem, Utah
3. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Massachusetts
4. Portland-South Portland, Maine
5. Warren-Troy-Farmington Hills, Michigan
6. Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, New York
7. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut
8. Green Bay, Wisconsin
9 Naples-Marco Island, Florida
10. Frederick-Gaithersburg-Rockville, Maryland
More Details HERE.
Top 10 Safest Cities in Tennessee:
1. Church Hill
2. Signal Mountain
3. Mount Carmel
7. Pleasant View
Rutherford County, TN (From the Safest Cities in Tennessee List):
#47 LaVergne, TN
#61 Smyrna, TN
#67 Murfreesboro, TN
- To read the full report, click here: https://www.safewise.com/blog/
- Read more about the methodology here.