Rutherford County, TN—(December 29, 2021) With anticipation of festivities to ring in the New Year this week, Rutherford County Fire Rescue (RCFR) is offering fireworks safety tips to help keep those celebrations safe!
Sanders acknowledges that there will still be residents who choose to celebrate with fireworks at home and recommends the following safety measures:
• Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
• Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
• Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
• Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
• Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands.
• Never light fireworks indoors.
• Only use fireworks away from people, houses, and flammable materials.
• Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
• Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
• Never ignite devices in a container.
• Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks.
• Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.
• Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire.
• Never use illegal fireworks.
Scroll down for more...
• Use glow sticks; they glow in the dark and are a safe alternative to sparklers.
• Red, white, and blue silly string is fun for all ages.
• Set up a screen and projector and have an outdoor movie night.
“Our main goal in sharing this message is keeping the citizens of our great community safe,” said Sanders. “We want you to have an enjoyable time with your families this weekend, but we certainly want you to do it without injury or harm!”