Rutherford County, TN - Average gasoline prices in Tennessee have fallen 6.1 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.08/g today, according to GasBuddy's survey of 3,821 stations in Tennessee. Prices in Tennessee are 0.4 cents per gallon higher than a month ago and stand 95.2 cents per gallon lower than a year ago.
In Rutherford County, gas prices are averaging $3.07 per gallon, which is on the low end of prices across the state this week. While this may sound like a broken record, the county with the highest average price of regular unleaded fuel happens to remain one county over in Williamson County, where the average price of regular unleaded is $3.50 per gallon. The lowest average price of fuel in counties that border Rutherford County is in nearby Bedford County, at $3.03 per gallon (regular unleaded average).
As for Diesel, the national average price of diesel has fallen 5.6 cents in the last week and stands at $4.25 per gallon. In Murfreesboro, Smyrna and LaVergne, the top ten gas stations were selling diesel at an overall average price of $3.58 on Sunday. The higher prices of diesel fuel are found in LaVergne and lower prices are in both Murfreesboro and Smyrna.
Now, back to regular unleaded… According to GasBuddy price reports, the cheapest station in Tennessee was priced at $2.78/g yesterday while the most expensive was $4.11/g, a difference of $1.33/g.
The national average price of gasoline has fallen 4.2 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.40/g today. The national average is up 4.3 cents per gallon from a month ago and stands 82.9 cents per gallon lower than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country.
Historic Gas Prices in TN and the U.S. Average Going Back 10-Years:
- March 20, 2022: $4.03/g (U.S. Average: $4.23/g)
- March 20, 2021: $2.66/g (U.S. Average: $2.88/g)
- March 20, 2020: $1.88/g (U.S. Average: $2.11/g)
- March 20, 2019: $2.36/g (U.S. Average: $2.60/g)
- March 20, 2018: $2.34/g (U.S. Average: $2.56/g)
- March 20, 2017: $2.03/g (U.S. Average: $2.29/g)
- March 20, 2016: $1.81/g (U.S. Average: $1.98/g)
- March 20, 2015: $2.15/g (U.S. Average: $2.43/g)
- March 20, 2014: $3.27/g (U.S. Average: $3.53/g)
- March 20, 2013: $3.48/g (U.S. Average: $3.70/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Chattanooga- $3.02/g, down 12.1 cents per gallon from last week's $3.14/g.
- Nashville- $3.17/g, down 5.4 cents per gallon from last week's $3.22/g.
- Huntsville- $3.04/g, down 3.7 cents per gallon from last week's $3.08/g.
"The broad concern over recent failures of the U.S. and global banking system has put enough downward pressure on oil prices that we saw a reprieve in rising gasoline prices in the national average last week. But, it may be temporary in nature, and is unlikely to be a long lasting trend," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "While California and areas of the West Coast saw some moderation in price, supply challenges amidst the transition to summer gasoline have led to sharp price increases in Arizona, and other markets saw varying impacts at the gas pump over the last week. Should the outlook for the banking sector improve, we could again see gasoline prices race higher, while continued or additional distress could raise the possibility of a broader economic slowdown, keeping gasoline prices in check. Overall, there are a lot of possibilities."
Source: GasBuddy is the authoritative voice for gas prices and the only source for station-level data. GasBuddy's survey updates 288 times every day from the most diverse list of sources covering nearly 150,000 stations nationwide, the most comprehensive and up-to-date in the country. GasBuddy data is accessible at http://prices.GasBuddy.com.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- COMMENTARY: Hollywood Today and the Role Hollywood Plays
- 113th General Assembly Wrapping Up
- Offensive Lyrics in Songs, Negative Vibes – But, does anyone listen to lyrics?
- Jon Hall, Community Business Leader in the Automotive Industry Passes Away
- Attempted Check Fraud Suspect Identified in Murfreesboro