Austin Turner Placed on Palliative Care - Family Demands Justice

Mar 06, 2024 at 05:32 pm by WGNS News

Nashville, TN - It's been described as a tragedy that is leaving a lasting impact on Middle Tennessee, and for the Turner family, it is their worst nightmare. The incident that led to the sadness started on February 18 at the Tin Roof in Nashville, where a celebration turned into a nightmare. Austin Turner, hailed as a hero by his younger siblings, found himself at the center of a horrific attack when a security guard allegedly assaulted him, leaving him in a coma for 16 agonizing days.

At Vanderbilt University Medical Center on Tuesday, March 5, Austin's mother Meagan, alongside his sister and father, sobbed almost uncontrollably stating that their son was “gone.” This was the son that the mother and father raised to become a young man of character – who showing kindness to others came with his underlying nature.


The space between Austin's skull and brain was damaged, which lead to internal bleeding, followed by increased pressure on his brain after the formation of a blood clot, known as a subdural haematoma. Austin's mother wrote on a GoFundMe page that her son was assaulted and ultimately had to undergo an emergency craniotomy. She said, “Unfortunately, the procedure was not enough to prevent him from suffering a massive stroke in the right hemisphere of his brain.”

Metro Police have confirmed the licensed Tin Roof security guard at the center of the investigation that led to Austin's hospitalization is charged with aggravated assault. The physical altercation reportedly occurred during the early morning hours of Sunday, February 18th. During the altercation, Austin was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. There, he was said to be in extremely critical condition.

The security guard facing the charges is 36-year-old Richard Cornelius of Antioch. Evidently, he denied Turner reentry into the Demonbreun Street bar, which was when the reported altercation ensued. An investigation by Metro detectives eventually led to the issuance of an arrest warrant accusing Cornelius of striking Austin. That strike is what is believed to have caused the 26-year-old to collapse and lose consciousness.

While Austin lay in a hospital bed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the security guard accused of hurting the young man was paying his bond to be released from jail... a bond that totaled $25,000.

The young man from Hendersonville had a life-threatening skull fracture that was believed to have occurred during the scuffle at the Tin Roof in downtown Nashville. This week, the family learned that Austin's injuries and damage to his brain are irreversible and he is not expected to make it. After the agony reached a crescendo, his mother said they made the decision to mitigate further suffering by putting Austin on palliative care.

Austin's mother publicly stated on Facebook, “Our son is the victim of a senseless act of violence.” She went on to highlight, “Austin has 4 younger sisters that looked at him like he was their superhero. He is kind, caring, and funny - and all of the love he had to give has been ripped away from us.”

Meanwhile at the Tin Roof, CEO Bob Franklin told media outlets that they can’t comment on an ongoing investigation, but they are fully cooperating with law enforcement. Franklin has also said, “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Austin Turner.”

As medical and now legal expenses grow, Austin's family hopes to alleviate some of the newly acquired financial burdens through a GoFundme page. As of Wednesday evening, a little over $7,500 has been raised.

DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.

Sections: News