Discovery Center is accepting applications for the 2014 Youth Council. Discovery Center’s Youth Council is comprised of individuals in 4th through 12th grade from Rutherford and contiguous counties. The Youth Council is dedicated to the improvement of the Discovery Center through innovative ideas to attract all age groups with a fun, entertaining, hands-on experience.
"Our youth council provides insight and opinions to help us shape museum programs, to meet community needs, and to meet their needs," said Courtney Morgan, Discovery Center’s Youth Council Coordinator.
Members strengthen their business skill set by :
- Gaining knowledge and leadership skills by attending and participating in Youth Council meetings and group discussions
- Providing Discovery Center with feedback about our indoor and outdoor exhibits and facility
- Researching other museum facilities that are of interest
- Taking part in the Youth Council Final Presentation and recommendations to the Board of Directors
The 2013 Youth Council has had a successful year and will be giving their final recommendations at Discovery Center’s November board meeting.
All interested youth are encouraged to apply. The Youth Council is free and open to the public. Applications and criteria for selection can be found at www.explorethedc.org.
“It is important to engage our community’s future leaders now,” says Discovery Center CEO Tara MacDougall. "The Discovery Center continues to expand its programs and exhibits to meet the growth of the middle Tennessee region," CEO Tara MacDougall says. "And it’s great to have their perspective because kids understand kids."
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Students must be in 4th – 12th grade during the 2013-2014 school year
- Mature, reliable, and enthusiastic
- Attend all youth council meetings
- Commit to twelve months of service (January - December 2014)
- Interested in gaining museum knowledge
- Applications are due by December 1, 2013
- Interested students may download an application at www.explorethedc.org
- Students will be required to include a letter of recommendation
For questions regarding the Discovery Center Youth Council, please contact Courtney Morgan at (615) 890-2300 ext 225.