(MURFREESBORO) Thursday (5/16/2019) morning provided a beautiful spring morning filled with sunshine, no wind and the temperature around 70. It was the perfect backdrop for the Annual Peace Officers Memorial Day Remembrance Service held in the Memory Gardens in front of the new Murfreesboro Police Department at 1004 N. Highland Avenue.
Murfreesboro Police Chief Michael Bowen told those in attendance . . .
Prior to the program, NewsRadio WGNS spoke with Chief Bowen and asked about the event.
He said, "We're trying something different. The persons honoring these fallen peace officers, spoke earlier with family members to get some memories about that person. Our goal is to allow those in attendance to better know those who have made the supreme sacrifice, whether it was a few years ago or 70-plus years ago."
As you listen, the presenters definitely achieved their goal.
- Trooper William H. James, Tennessee Highway Patrol, September 14, 1942
- Officer Herbert McClanahan, Murfreesboro Police Department, December 16, 1946
- Deputy Marshal Sam Vaughn, US Marshall Service, August 8, 1953
- Trooper Lewis R. Hendon, Tennessee Highway Patrol, June 15, 1957
- Officer Joseph "Butch" Tomlinson Jr., Murfreesboro Police Department, October 28, 1999
- Officer Kay Rogers, Murfreesboro Police Department, November 9, 2005
- Captain Byron Motley, Murfreesboro Police Department, July 22, 2006
- Officer Matt Lovejoy, Murfreesboro Police Department, June 22, 2007
- Trooper Andy Wall, Tennessee Highway Patrol, May 7, 2011
Here is the complete program that honored the officers who made the supreme sacrifice from all agencies here in Rutherford County.