The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is now accepting applications for the 2012 TBI Citizens’ Academy open to Tennessee residents interested in learning more about the state’s lead investigative law enforcement agency.
The four week academy is scheduled for May 1 through May 22, 2012 at TBI Headquarters in Nashville, Tenn. It will offer citizens a look at TBI’s work, ranging from its investigations of crime scenes, cyber crime, tracking terrorism information and other aspects of criminal activity in Tennessee. Classes will be held for three hours, one night a week. The Academy is designed to develop a better understanding and awareness in the community of TBI through a first hand look at the Bureau and its responsibilities across the state. Due to limited classroom size, the Academy will be limited to 15 citizens.
Requirements for Applicants is as follows:
1) Must be 21 or older
2) No criminal history other than minor traffic violations
3) Physically able to meet training requirements
4) Must attend one night per week for a three hour session and one Saturday for firearms training with a minimum of 90% attendance
5) Must sign all required waivers and agreements
6) Applicants are accepted pending background investigations and approval by the TBI Director
To apply, residents should fill out the application located on the TBI website at www.tbi.tn.gov and submit it by April 10, 2012 to Assistant Director Richard Moore at the address listed on the application.