Saturday Morning Blaze In La Vergne

Jul 11, 2020 at 08:19 am by WGNS

(La Vergne TN)  A family is safe thanks to some quick-thinking by some kids. Around 2:30AM Saturday (7/11/2020) morning, that family woke-up to thick, black smoke filling their home in the 600 block of Big Hurricane Drive. 

Three teens climbed-down to safety by breaking-out a second floor window and lowering themselves to the ground. 


Several younger children, the youngest being age 11, were downstairs and they opened an exterior door in a converted garage where their uncle was asleep and got him to safety.

The fire spread quickly with vengeance, and lept into the attic before firefighters arrived.

La Vergne Fire Department crews were able to contain the blaze.

The investigation by the La Vergne Fire Marshal’s Office revealed that it started on the stove and at this point has been ruled accidental. 

The family was renting the home and did not have renters insurance. The American Red Cross is helping the family temporarily, but for those who wish to help should contact the Fire Marshal’s office at 615-287-5832.


Sections: News