James Evans, spokesperson with the Rutherford County Schools, notified parents of Walter Hill School Students on Tuesday about a gas leak.
The gas leak was reported outside of the school building and students were evacuated. The children were moved to a nearby church, which is their evacuation site for the school, while emergency officials address the gas leak.
The gas has been turned off and the fire department has checked the school with instruments and determined it is safe.
The students were moved back to the school. Evans said, "We’ve already made arrangements with Wilson Elementary School who will be providing sack lunches for the Walter Hill students."
Dismissal will be held at the normal time Tuesday (4/13/21). Evans said it is not necessary to check your child out early, but if you wish to do so, you will need to wait to all students have been moved back to the school so that all students can be properly accounted for before dismissing.
Principal Heath will send any additional updates to parents, if needed.
Evans said, "The students and staff did a great job during the precautionary evacuation and we appreciate everyone’s patience as they return to the building.