A crowd estimated at in excess of 140,000 persons is expected to attend the inaugural Music City Grand Prix over its three days Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Aug. 6, 7, 8, 2021).
The IndyCar race is said to be historic and it has been labeled as one of the most highly anticipated events for racing history in over a decade.
27 Cars will be racing through the streets of downtown Nashville throughout the weekend and Murfreesboro's MTSU played a role in helping to ensure safety measures were in place. The MTSU School of Concrete and Construction Management helped to design and build the racing barriers along the course and on pit row.
Dr. Heather Brown, former director of the MTSU concrete program, told WGNS about the race course…
The cars will travel over the Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge, which is one of the signature landmarks to be highlighted in the race. Known for their speed, the IndyCars are expected to hit 200 miles per hour as they travel 80-feet above the Cumberland River while crossing the 553-yard bridge (1,660-feet in length). The straightaway at the start and end of the bridge, including the roadway leading up to and away from the bridge, is approximately 2,200-feet, which makes it the longest straightaway for IndyCar this season.
There are 11-turns in the 2.17-mile course and the official finish line is in front of the Tennessee Titan's home known as the Nissan Stadium.
Road closures for the Grand Prix took effect Thursday at 10 a.m.
- Korean Veterans Boulevard/Shelby Avenue from 2nd Avenue South to Interstate Drive;
- I-24 exit ramps at Shelby Avenue;
- Shelby Avenue at S. 4th Street (access to the I-24 west ramp is allowed);
- Interstate Drive (access to the I-24 east entrance ramp is allowed);
- Hermitage Avenue at Middleton Street will be closed to northbound traffic. Traffic will be diverted onto Middleton toward 2nd Avenue South as the northbound route into the city. Allowances will be made for residents and businesses in the immediate area of the closure
More Road Closures in Downtown Nashville:
- Peabody Street from 2nd Avenue South to Crockett Street;
- Russell Street;
- Titans Way;
- Victory Avenue;
- Sylvan Street;
- South 1st Street from Victory Avenue to South 2nd Street;
- South 2nd Street from Shelby Avenue to Russell Street;
- South 3rd Street from Crutcher to Sylvan Streets
More than 120 Metro Nashville Police officers will be working traffic and security posts each day of the Grand Prix and will be supplemented by uniformed private security individuals.
PARKING: Race fans are encouraged to find parking on the west side of the Cumberland River and walk to the stadium area via the Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge or the Woodland Street Bridge, or take a shuttle from one of the major hotels in downtown (visit www.musiccitygp.com for more information).