(RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TENN.) The Rutherford County Sheriff's Office reports a Murfreesboro woman received a phone call Wednesday asking for a donation to help Sheriff’s deputies harmed in the line of duty and their families. But, the call was a complete hoax! The Sheriff's Office says, "This is a scam call because the Sheriff’s Office does not call and ask for donations for any cause."
The woman said the caller asked for her bank account number, but she refused to give it to the unknown con-artist. Instead, she called the Sheriff’s Office, which is what anyone receiving such a call should do - or, contact your local police department, depending on where you live.
The Sheriff's Office warns, "Please do not give your bank account number to unknown callers. Residents may call the Sheriff’s Office at 615-898-7777 to check about the accuracy of similar calls."
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- UPDATE: Man Found Guilty of Sexual Offenses in Murfreesboro – Sentencing on Friday the 13th
- Shoplifting in Rutherford County - Can you help identify a person of interest?
- Murfreesboro Offices Closed on for Veterans Day, Nov. 11
- TBI: Wilson County Teen Remains Missing / Endangered
- MTSU Recognized Nationally for ‘Gold Standard’ in Teacher Prep Accreditation
- Free Flu Vaccines at Local Health Department Offices Starting Nov. 9th