(MURFREESBORO) The 1850 victorian mansion that was known as "The House of Mayors" is now only a memory. Under the long arm of the excavator, the final row of bricks along with insulation and wooden beams crashed into a pile at the corner of Spring and Bell Streets.
Endless rows of vehicle and pedestrian traffic slowly passed 500 N. Spring Street as if paying respect for the grand lady that once heard party laughter, Civil War cannons and the rush of a growing city gobbling-up everything around her.
The Collier-Lane-Crichlow House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and was the home of four Murfreesboro mayors: Ingram B. Collier was the first to live in the home (mayor from 1872-1873), Newton B. Collier (mayor 1878-1879), James H. Crichlow Jr. (mayor 1900-1909). and N. Collier Crichlow.
You can bet that the "House of Mayors" will be the focus of conversation at this Saturday's COFFEE AND CONVERSATION at the old one-room Ransom Schoolhouse at 717 N. Academy St. That's where the Rutherford County Historical Society meets from 9:00AM-noon for a free public connection to history. They also remind the public that it's time to pay the $25 annual dues.
In addition, the monthly historical meeting will be Monday (1/9/2023) in Maney Hall at Oaklands Mansion, 900 N. Maney Avenue. That's a special Tribute to Elvis and Murphy Center featuring well known Elvis impersonator Dick Peach along with emcee Shirley Farris Jones. That too is free and open to the public.
CLICK HERE for earlier articles about THE HOUSE OF MAYORS.