(Rutherford County, TN) Average gasoline prices in Tennessee have fallen 3.2 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $2.93 per gallon on Monday, but then rising to an average of $2.99 per gallon on Tuesday afternoon, according to GasBuddy's survey of 3,821 stations in Tennessee. Overall, prices in Tennessee are a little more than 19 cents per gallon higher than a month ago.
On Monday, the average price of fuel in Murfreesboro was about $2.70 per gallon, Smyrna was $2.77 per gallon and LaVergne was at $2.78 per gallon, according to GasBuddy. Across the state, the cheapest gas station in Tennessee was priced at $2.35/g yesterday while the most expensive was $3.99/g, a difference of $1.64/g.
The national average price of gasoline has risen 2.5 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.28/g today. The national average is up 14.9 cents per gallon from a month ago and stands 2.2 cents per gallon lower than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country.
Mississippi has the lowest average price on gas right now and stands at $2.91 per gallon. Oklahoma and Texas come in second and third across the nation with their current average fuel prices, averaging $2.92 per gallon on Tuesday (01/17/2023).
- January 16, 2022: $3.01/g (U.S. Average: $3.30/g)
- January 16, 2021: $2.16/g (U.S. Average: $2.39/g)
- January 16, 2020: $2.30/g (U.S. Average: $2.57/g)
- January 16, 2019: $1.98/g (U.S. Average: $2.24/g)
- January 16, 2018: $2.33/g (U.S. Average: $2.54/g)
- January 16, 2017: $2.12/g (U.S. Average: $2.33/g)
- January 16, 2016: $1.68/g (U.S. Average: $1.91/g)
- January 16, 2015: $1.91/g (U.S. Average: $2.07/g)
- January 16, 2014: $3.10/g (U.S. Average: $3.30/g)
- January 16, 2013: $3.18/g (U.S. Average: $3.29/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Chattanooga- $2.87/g, unchanged from last week's $2.87/g.
- Nashville- $2.92/g, down 5.1 cents per gallon from last week's $2.97/g.
- Huntsville- $2.99/g, unchanged from last week's $2.99/g.
Meanwhile, AAA – the Auto Club, reports that 68% of gas stations in the Volunteer State had gas priced under the $3.00 mark, as of Monday. AAA also reported the following snapshot:
- 68% of Tennessee gas stations have prices below $3.00
- The lowest 10% of pump prices are $2.96 for regular unleaded
- The highest 10% of pump prices are $3.31 for regular unleaded
- Tennessee is the 7th least expensive market in the nation
"We've seen somewhat of a mixed week at the pump with some states seeing gasoline prices rise, while others have stabilized for the time being. The good news as of late has been the continued decline in average diesel prices, which fell over a penny per day last week," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "Oil prices have seen a bit of a rally, finishing last week at nearly $80 per barrel again as Chinese demand starts to jump as expected, but with Covid cases and deaths now also surging in China, the jump in demand could be short-lived. Gas prices may nudge up slightly in the week ahead in some areas, while others could hold flat. The window on price drops however, appears to be coming up on the horizon as we get closer to what's likely to be a significant refinery maintenance period ahead of summer."
As for the cost of diesel, the national average price has fallen 7.2 cents in the last week and stands at $4.56 per gallon.
Sources: GasBuddy is the authoritative voice for gas prices and the only source for station-level data. GasBuddy's survey updates 288 times every day from the most diverse list of sources covering nearly 150,000 stations nationwide, the most comprehensive and up-to-date in the country. GasBuddy data is accessible at http://prices.GasBuddy.com.
AAA Reported on Tuesday, “Gas prices continued to fluctuate across the state last week. The Tennessee Gas Price average is now $2.99 which is nearly 23 cents more expensive than one month ago and three cents less than one year ago.”
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- MTSU Professor Chimes In On Cloud Storage of Your Files
- Murfreesboro Man Arrested in Nashville Shooting
- The Current Home Inventory in Rutherford County and Higher Interest Rates
- Barrett Firearms has been SOLD to Australian Group
- Allegations of Explosives in Vehicle Lead to Shutdown of I-24 in Rutherford Co.
- Toot’s Reports They Will Lower Prices
- Rutherford Co. Fire Chief on Homeland Security Council