Rutherford County, TN - Sean Martin has been named as the first assistant safety director for the Rutherford County Schools. In 2006 Martin began his career with the Murfreesboro Police Department in dispatch. He moved from the communications center to a position as a patrol officer in 2009.
Martin was promoted to sergeant in 2021, and most recently moved into the SRO sergeant position before applying for and attaining the role of assistant safety director with the Rutherford County Schools, which is a new position supporting Safety Director Patty Oeser.
Martin suggested communication is one of the most critical ingredients to the newly created position within the county schools. He stated, “In my current position, most communication will be networking with the school administration, Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office and central office staff." Martin further said, “Through our partnerships with the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office and central office staff, we work to prevent and mitigate the issues that arise throughout the day.”
One area of growing concern in school systems locally and throughout the country focuses on mental health issues. Martin said, “I think we can look for even small things, signs and symptoms." The Safety Director over the schools has already turned a lot of her attention towards mental health and how that plays a role in schools, the safety of students and staff. The newly hired assistant director stated, “I teach mental health, or did for the police department, and what they teach is their concept of signs and symptoms." The safety director has already put together a crisis team within the county schools to further help with physical and mental health related issues, threats or problems.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Warrant Obtained for Shoplifting Suspect
- A Fast-Food French Fry Assault Reported in Murfreesboro
- 12-Year-Old Murfreesboro Child in Need of New Kidney - Listen to our Interview
- Rodeo to be in Murfreesboro on March 3rd and 4th - Bull Riding and More
- Murfreesboro Police Investigating $1,200+ Shoplifting Incident
- Mid TN Electric Earns Champion Award
- 93rd Annual General Conference for TN National Guard in Murfreesboro
- Robotic Competition for Students
- Main Street Murfreesboro Holds 37th Annual Celebration (Hear Interviews)
- 2nd Annual Boro Prom a Success in Murfreesboro