Rutherford County, TN - Average gasoline prices in Tennessee have fallen 7.6 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.30/g today, according to GasBuddy's survey of 3,821 stations in Tennessee. Prices in Tennessee are 16.5 cents per gallon higher than a month ago and stand 52.2 cents per gallon lower than a year ago. The national average price of diesel has fallen 3.0 cents in the last week and stands at $4.12 per gallon.
In Rutherford County on Monday, gas prices proved to be the lowest in the Murfreesboro area - where gas prices have been averaging about $3.24 per gallon (regular). Smyrna has gas priced at an average of $3.26 per gallon, while LaVergne has regular unleaded priced at an average of $3.30 per gallon.
Diesel in Rutherford County is selling for $3.40 to $3.95 per gallon in LaVergne. Murfreesboro gas stations have diesel priced between $3.41 and $3.49 per gallon. In Smyrna, you can refuel for $3.49 to $3.54 per gallon.
The national average price of gasoline has fallen 0.8 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.64/g today. The national average is up 22.8 cents per gallon from a month ago and stands 46.4 cents per gallon lower than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country.
Historic gasoline prices in TN and the U.S. average going back 10-years:
- April 24, 2021: $2.66/g (U.S. Average: $2.88/g)
- April 24, 2020: $1.52/g (U.S. Average: $1.74/g)
- April 24, 2019: $2.61/g (U.S. Average: $2.88/g)
- April 24, 2018: $2.58/g (U.S. Average: $2.78/g)
- April 24, 2017: $2.16/g (U.S. Average: $2.41/g)
- April 24, 2016: $1.95/g (U.S. Average: $2.14/g)
- April 24, 2015: $2.30/g (U.S. Average: $2.51/g)
- April 24, 2014: $3.51/g (U.S. Average: $3.69/g)
- April 24, 2013: $3.27/g (U.S. Average: $3.52/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Chattanooga- $3.15/g, down 16.4 cents per gallon from last week's $3.32/g.
- Nashville- $3.43/g, down 8.6 cents per gallon from last week's $3.51/g.
- Huntsville- $3.23/g, down 2.3 cents per gallon from last week's $3.26/g.
"For the first time in several weeks, the national average price of gasoline has seen a decline, and while the fall was quite small, the bigger news may be that we may have seen a short-term peak for the price of gasoline. While any unexpected outages could push it up again, there is a rising possibility that barring such, we may have seen our high water mark for the national average for the summer," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "Typically, gas prices peak between May and June, and with the oil market showing significant cracks in strength, we may have seen the peak in the national average already occur, a few weeks earlier than average. While it's possible we could go higher later this summer should a major hurricane target sensitive infrastructure, it appears the odds that the national average will miss the $4 per gallon mark are rising. It's certainly looking optimistic for motorists."
SOURCE: GasBuddy is the authoritative voice for gas prices and the only source for station-level data. GasBuddy's survey updates 288 times every day from the most diverse list of sources covering nearly 150,000 stations nationwide, the most comprehensive and up-to-date in the country. GasBuddy data is accessible at http://prices.GasBuddy.com.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Ascension Saint Thomas Rutherford Foundation Hosting 2nd Annual Artist at the Alley
- JazzFest 2023 at Fountains of Gateway in May
- Read To Succeed - Read to Bee
- Holloway High School Students Remind Peers about the Dangers of Distracted Driving
- Commentary: New Technology and Artificial Intelligence
- First Graduating Class of New Fire Fighters with the Rutherford County Fire Rescue Dept.
- Commentary: Commissioner Harris Looks at the Far Left / Far Right
- Photos from Pioneer Days in Murfreesboro
- See Pictures from the Earth Day Celebration in Murfreesboro
- Braxton, the son of a Smyrna Fireman Passed Away Friday