WILSON COUNTY, TN - In nearby Lebanon, Mayor Rick Bell and Lebanon city officials hosted a groundbreaking on Monday for an additional parking lot. The new lot is directly off the Downtown Historic Wilson County square, north of Murfreesboro.
An architectural rendering of the new parking lot, it is located at the intersection of S. College St and West Gay St. According to Lebanon officials, the city is also removing a billboard to visually enhance the downtown area. New crosswalks are also a part of the plans for improvement.
Like Rutherford County, Wilson County, has continued to grow. According to World Population Review, Wilson County's estimated 2023 population is 157,859 with a growth rate of 2.18% . The most recent United States census data showed Wilson County, Tennessee is the 10th largest county in Tennessee.
In Rutherford County between 2019 and 2020, the population growth rate was 3.3%. Between 2010 and 2021, the growth rate equaled 2.7%, which is only half of a point higher than Wilson County.
New Parking Lot in Wilson County (Details):
- 24 new parking spaces to the downtown core.
- Removal of 1200 cubic yards of fill material to assist floodwater detention.
- Installation of a water quality feature near the creek to remove road contaminants from washing from the parking lot into the creek.
- Enhanced pedestrian crossings.
- Removed the billboard to visually enhance the entrance into the square.