No Injuries as Armed-Barricaded Man Surrenders Peacefully to MPD

Aug 31, 2023 at 06:37 pm by WGNS

WGNS exclusive news photos


(MURFREESBORO) Murfreesboro Police received a domestic violence 911 call around 12:30PM Thursday afternoon (8/31/2023). The woman escaped and called police saying that she had been threatened by a man with a gun. She told police said that he was now barricaded inside the home on Aztec Drive off Fortress Boulevard.


Much happened between when the first responder arrived at the scene and when the man surrendered almost 4-hours later. 

Strong Police Presence Kept the Peace

There was quickly a huge police presence of heavily armed officers. They formed a perimeter around the townhouse with the purpose of protecting neighbors. Then the City's Special Operations Unit used de-escalation tactics.

One was to wheel in a giant SWAT armored vehicle with a huge battering ram on a long extension that was attached to the front bumper.  The hydraulic lift lowered the ramming rod to door level. You knew that the armed man barricaded inside the home was receiving a strong message from police.

Murfreesboro Police have a history of combining heavy training and reacting quickly in order to reduce the risk of innocent people being injured.

It went like clockwork as this precision team kept the peace during a highly volatile situation. 

As the hours neared the end of the school day, Rutherford County School bus drivers were made aware of the dangerous situation and were instructed not to release any students into the Sitting Bull Crossing neighborhood. The county's emergency telephone messaging system notified parents/guardians of the problem and explained the pickup procedure for their students. 

Every step was strategically planned by MPD to reduce the public's risk of being harmed. 

Armored Vehicle Gets In Position

With the battering ram in position, the huge armored vehicle slowly moved forward. 

Once the door was breached, police could see the suspect run into the garage where he reached down to pick-up something off the floor. At that point, police shot him several times with rubber bullets. He then ran to the second floor of the townhouse where police discharged several cannisters of tear gas. At that point, he surrendered peacefully. 

When the suspect surrendered, he was checked-out by paramedics and taken away in an unmarked Murfreesboro Police vehicle. 

Suspect In Custody

There were no injuries.

After surrendering to police, 33-year-old Michael Thibodeau was carefully examined by paramedics. He was then cuffed and taken to an awaiting police vehicle.

At this time, he has been charged with aggravated domestic assault. More charges may be made when detectives complete an in-depth investigation. 

Michael Thibodeau's employment brought him to Murfreesboro from Pittsburgh about a month ago.

Police have not yet released the reason why the individual barricaded himself into the home. 

He has been booked at the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center.  

NewsRadio WGNS will keep you informed. 

DISCLAIMER: All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The arrest records or information about an arrest that are published or reported on NewsRadio WGNS and are not an indication of guilt or evidence that an actual crime has been committed.