RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TN - Average gasoline prices in Tennessee have risen 7.7 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.41/g today, according to GasBuddy's survey of 3,821 stations in Tennessee. Prices in Tennessee are 5.8 cents per gallon lower than a month ago and stand 21.9 cents per gallon higher than a year ago.
According to AAA - the Auto Club, regular unleaded prices at the pump are averaging $3.48 per gallon today, September 18, 2023. South of Murfreesboro in Bedford County, the average price of regular grade fuel is sitting at $3.34 per gallon. The highest prices are in neighboring Williamson County, where regular unleaded is $3.74 per gallon.
Throughout Middle Tennessee, the counties with the lowest gas prices include both DeKalb and Humphreys Counties where regular unleaded is selling for an average of $3.30 per gallon. Across the Volunteer State, Henry County in West Tennessee has the lowest average price of regular unleaded fuel at $3.17 per gallon.
Meanwhile, GasBuddy reports the national average price of gasoline has risen 4.6 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.83/g today. The national average is down 1 cent per gallon from a month ago and stands 19.9 cents per gallon higher than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country.
Historical Gas Prices in TN and the U.S. Average Going Back 10-Years:
- September 18, 2022: $3.19/g (U.S. Average: $3.64/g)
- September 18, 2021: $2.85/g (U.S. Average: $3.19/g)
- September 18, 2020: $1.92/g (U.S. Average: $2.17/g)
- September 18, 2019: $2.37/g (U.S. Average: $2.66/g)
- September 18, 2018: $2.57/g (U.S. Average: $2.84/g)
- September 18, 2017: $2.55/g (U.S. Average: $2.60/g)
- September 18, 2016: $2.12/g (U.S. Average: $2.20/g)
- September 18, 2015: $2.00/g (U.S. Average: $2.30/g)
- September 18, 2014: $3.14/g (U.S. Average: $3.36/g)
- September 18, 2013: $3.28/g (U.S. Average: $3.49/g)
Nearby areas and their current gas prices:
- Chattanooga- $3.39/g, up 16.0 cents per gallon from last week's $3.23/g.
- Nashville- $3.52/g, up 9.6 cents per gallon from last week's $3.42/g.
- Huntsville- $3.39/g, up 1.9 cents per gallon from last week's $3.38/g.
DIESEL: For those who drive a diesel vehicle, the national average price of fuel has risen 9.9 cents in the last week and stands at $4.53 per gallon. In Tennessee, the average price of diesel sits at $4.33 per gallon. The current diesel price is up by a little more than 18-cents when compared to last week's price of $4.18 per gallon. At this same point last month on August 18th, diesel was averaging $4.13 per gallon in Tennessee. The highest price of diesel in recent years was recorded on June 15, 2022, when the price-per-gallon hit $5.64.