(MURFREESBORO) Shortly before 1:00 o'clock Saturday morning (11/11/2023), a LaFave Lane resident received minor burns to his hands and a foot while trying to put out a fire on his back porch.
Preliminary reports from firefighters at-the-scene say that the man had been trying to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
The man, his wife, and child were at home at the time. He had been grilling earlier in the evening and last checked on the grill around 10:00PM.
A spokesperson for Murfreesboro Fire-Rescue told WGNS News that the family was awakened by the smell of smoke.
The wife and child were not hurt. The man was evaluated on the scene by Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services personnel and the decision was made for him not to be transported to the ER.
Since there was an injury, investigators with the Fire Marshal’s Office were called to investigate the fire scene on LaFave Lane.
Assistant Fire Marshal Shan Womack reminded the public, “There is still a city-county burn ban in effect. All outdoor burning is prohibited, including grilling and using fire pits--until weather conditions are favorable.”
WGNS gives a special THANKS to crews with Murfreesboro Fire-Rescue's Ladder 11, Rescue 11, Engine 5, Engine 9, Battalion Chiefs 1 & 2 and Safety 1 & 2 responded to the fire. Also, paramedics from Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services and officers from the Murfreesboro Police Department assisted at the LaFave Lane home.