(RUTHERFORD COUNTY) Like the old song proclaims, "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"! And yes, some hours in the day even feel like it. Scout troops selling Christmas trees, festive tree lightings in each municipality of Rutherford County, along with Christmas parades. Here are some events that you might want to put on your calendar.
CHRISTMAS TREE SALES (BSA Troop 197) - The tradition of BSA Troop 197 selling trees at Fellowship United Methodist Church (2511 New Salem Highway) begins Sunday, Nov. 19, 2023. They open next Sunday and remain open until all trees are sold. A spokesperson told WGNS, "We're normally only open about a week due to how fast they sell but we are open until they are sold out". The troop's hours of operation are: Monday-Friday 5-8PM; Saturday 9:00AM-8:00PM, Sunday 1:00p8:00PM.
Christmas Tree Lightings
- SMYRNA: Tue., Nov. 21, 2023 at 6:00PM at the Smyrna Train Depot
- EAGLEVILLE: Sun., Nov. 26, 2023 at 4:15PM at Eagleville City Hall
- MURFREESBORO: Fri., Dec. 1, 2023 at 5:30PM on the east side of the Rutherford County Courthouse on the Murfreesboro town square
- La VERGNE (see below for parade...they combine the events)
- La VERGNE 12th Annual Parade of Light is Sat., Dec. 2, 2023 at 5:00PM. It starts at City Hall and ends at Veterans Memorial Park, where the tree lighting ceremony and fireworks show will take place. This year's theme is "Peace On Earth".
- SMYRNA: Christmas Parade is Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023 at 2:00PM. The Smyrna parade travels northbound on Lowry Street toward Sam Ridley Parkway. Those attending should bring non-perishable food items to donate to Nourish Food Bank units in the parade. Entry deadline is Friday, November 17th. No Late Entries will be accepted. Contact Casey Conard at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 615-267-5005
- EAGLEVILLE Christmas Parade is Sat., Dec. 9, 2023 at 5:00PM. Grand Marshals are the 2022 Eagleville Baseball and Softball State Champs. The parade's theme is "Christmas Past and Present". The parade wil go south on Main St., turn left on Highway 99 and end at the school.
- MURFREESBORO Christmas Parade is 2:00PM Sunday, Dec. 10, 2023. It begins at MTSU, travels down East Main St., around the square, onto West Main and ends at Walnut St. The theme is "CHRISTMAS MAGIC". Entries must be at Murfreesboro Parks and Recreation Department no later than 4:00PM Wed., Nov. 29, 2023.
Other Chrismas Events
- Handel's "Messiah" Mon., Nov. 28, 2023 at 6:00PM in MTSU's Wright Music Building (1439 Faulkinberry Dr.). Tickets are $15 general admission and are available online at https://bit.ly/MTMessiahInConcert2022Tickets and at the door. MTSU students, faculty and staff will be admitted free with current IDs.
- Tennessee Philharmonic's CHRISTMAS CONCERT is Fri., Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:00PM at Belle Aire Baptist Church (N. Rutherford Blvd.)
- Choral Society's CHRISTMAS CONCERT is Sun., Dec. 3, 2023 at 3:00PM in the MTSU Wright Music Building (1439 Faulkinberry Dr.)
- Sam Davis Home Christmas Candlelight Tour (1399 Sam Davis Rd., Smyrna TN) is Sat., Dec. 4, 2023 from 10AM-4PM. Bring your family and enjoy a day of 19th century holiday tradition. Make an ornament for your tree while sipping wassail and listening to carols. Take as candlelit tour of the historic house and see how the Davis family celebrated the holidays. *Regular admission
- BETHLEHEM MARKETPLACE at Southeast Baptist Church (708 Minerva Dr.) is Saturday and Sunday (Dec. 9-10, 2023) from noon-5:00PM. Free admission and free parking. Walk through a replica of the village of Bethlehem on the day after Christ was born. There are live camels, and other animals, Roman soldiers, and more. This is the church's 39th reenactment.
- Oakland Mansion's CANDLELIGHT TOUR OF HOMES is Sat., Dec. 9, 2023 from 4:00-8:00PM. Tickets are available in the Museum Store (900 N. Maney Ave. in Maney Hall) or on-line. Admission is $30.00 per adult and $10.00 per student ages 6-12. The tour is free for ages 5 and under.