The December discounts keep flowing at the pump. Some discounters in the 'Boro started the week with regular gas for $2.05 per gallon. Gas prices have declined for 5 consecutive weeks, as refineries flood the market with more gasoline than is consumed. This helped prices return to levels not seen since August 30, when gas prices surged in response to Hurricane Harvey's impact on Gulf Coast refineries.
"Gulf Coast refineries have completely recovered from the effects of Hurricane Harvey, and are now flooding the market with fuel in anticipation of strong demand during the year-end holidays," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "AAA forecasts a record-setting 97.4 million Americans will take a road trip during the final 10 days of the year. However, the strong supply of gasoline should help stave-off any gas price hikes that would otherwise be caused by such a surge in demand."
Gas prices for the year-end holidays should be on par with - if not lower than - last year. The state average is falling at a rate of one cent per day. If that trend continues, pump prices would drop another 8 cents before Christmas Day.
Tennessee gas prices averaged $2.23 on Sunday - the lowest since August 30. The state average declined 3 cents during the past week. Tennessee gas prices are 10 cents less than a month ago, and 18 cents more than this time last year.
- The most expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Jackson ($2.34), Memphis ($2.27), and Nashville ($2.26)
- The least expensive gas price averages in Tennessee are in Murfreesboro ($2.05), Chattanooga ($2.12), Cleveland ($2.13), and Clarksville-Hopkinsville ($2.16)
|Today||Christmas Day 2016||New Year's Day 2017|
Gas Price Tools for Reporters/Consumers
- GasPrices.AAA.com - Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages.
- AAA Mobile app - Free app that shows current prices at a gas station near you.
Highs and Lows of 2017*
- National: the highest average price for gasoline was $2.67 on September 8. The lowest was $2.23 on July 5.
- Florida: the highest average price in was $2.73 on September 9. The lowest was $2.13 on July 17.
- Georgia: the highest average price was $2.76 on September 12. The lowest was $2.08 on July 5.
- Tennessee: the highest average price was $2.60 on September 10. The lowest was $1.99 on July 5.
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Highest Price on Record|