St. Thomas Medical Partners Receives Grants for Mission in Motion

  Email   Print

Saint Thomas Medical Partners (STMP) announced it has received a $75,000 grant and a $9,778 grant for the Our Mission in Motion (OMIM) program from Susan G. Komen® of Central Tennessee. The $75,000 grant is the largest monetary award given by Susan G. Komen of Central Tennessee and will provide screening mammography through a mobile health unit to 17 Tennessee counties, including the 11-county Komen Central Tennessee service area. The $9,778 grant will provide screening mammography through a mobile health unit to 12 Tennessee counties in the Upper Cumberland area. Saint Thomas Health is part of Ascension, the nation's largest Catholic and non-profit health system.

Mobile mammography eliminates both time and transportation barriers to increase the number of women having annual mammograms. The Our Mission in Motion program includes five mammography mobile units in Tennessee. The OMIM program supports the STMP and Komen objectives of increasing the availability and affordability of breast health services in Middle Tennessee communities and developing partnerships with health providers to reach uninsured, underserved, low income and minority women. The OMIM program also works closely with employers in the Komen Central Tennessee counties to deliver mammography to female employees on their work premises.

As one of the region's largest medical groups with 524 physicians and providers to care for patients, Saint Thomas Medical Partners is part of Saint Thomas Health and one of the region's largest medical groups, covering 32 counties with 97 sites of care in Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky.

"Saint Thomas Medical Partners and Our Mission in Motion is excited to continue our partnership with the Komen Central Tennessee program and bring this potentially life-saving service to many who might otherwise not be able to care for their health," said Yvette Doran, Chief Operating Officer of Saint Thomas Medical Partners.

Since its inception in June 2011, the OMIM program has screened 14,611 women, diagnosed 47 breast cancers, and visited more than 120 venues to bring screening mammography and breast health education to women.

Susan G. Komen is the world's largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.6 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy's life. As a part of a global effort, 25% of your contribution goes toward worldwide breast cancer research. The remaining 75% of your contribution stays in the Greater Nashville area to support breast cancer screenings, education and treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT



Read more from:
News
Tags: 
grant, Mission in Motion, Murfreesboro news, NewsRadio WGNS, Saint Thomas Medical Partners, St. Thomas
Share: 
  Email   Print
Related Articles
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: