Wednesday Is Last Day For Tickets
Tickets are available through this Wednesday (2/8/2017) for MTSU's 21st Annual Unity Luncheon. This is the Black History Month event that honors unsung community heroes. It will be held in the new Student Union Building in the elegant ballroom from 11:30 Thursday morning, February 16, 2017, until 1:30 that afternoon.
The keynote speaker if TBI Director and MTSU Alumnus Mark Gwyn.
Each year the luncheon honors unsung leaders who have made outstanding contributions in the areas of education, community service, civility advocacy, sports and black arts.
- Bichaka Fayissa, a native of Ethiopia, Department of Economics and Finance professor, MTSU -- education.
- Navita Gunter of Guthrie, Kentucky, founder, Cervical Cancer Coalition of Tennessee -- community service.
- Jacqueline Jackson of Lexington, Kentucky, retired Department of English professor, MTSU -- education.
- Evelyn James of Murfreesboro, retired nursery school teacher, member of Ardent Workers of First Baptist Church, Murfreesboro -- education.
- Carl Marable of Murfreesboro, director, Second Chance Outreach Ministries -- community service.
- Ernest Newsom of Murfreesboro, clarinetist and psychologist -- contribution to black arts.
- Albert Richardson Jr. of Murfreesboro, community volunteer and humanitarian -- community service.
- Revonda J. Rucker of Murfreesboro, registered nurse and funeral director -- community service.
- James Douglas Watkins of Murfreesboro, former community school director and athletic mentor in Flint, Michigan -- excellence in sports.
- Martha Womack of Murfreesboro, community volunteer and humanitarian -- community service.
- Vernon Young of Smyrna, Tennessee, retired law enforcement officer, Smyrna Police Department -- civility advocacy.
Individual tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for students. A table of 10 is $250. To purchase tickets, go to http://tinyurl.com/knmeono.
"Empowering Future Leaders: Moving Forward while Reaching Back" is the theme of the 2017 Black History Month observance at MTSU. With the exception of the Unity Luncheon, all events are free and open to the public. For a complete list of events, go to http://www.mtsu.edu/aahm/docs/2017-aahm-calendar2.pdf.
A printable campus parking map is available at http://tinyurl.com/MTSUParkingMap. Off-campus visitors attending the daytime events should obtain a special one-day permit from MTSU's Office of Parking and Transportation at http://www.mtsu.edu/parking/visit.php.