Rutherford County, TN - The price of gas is on the downswing this week. Average gasoline prices in Tennessee have risen 3.6 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.02/g today, according to GasBuddy's survey of 3,821 stations in Tennessee. Prices in Tennessee are 13.6 cents per gallon lower than a month ago and stand 85.2 cents per gallon lower than a year ago. The national average price of diesel has fallen 4.6 cents in the last week and stands at $4.34 per gallon.
In case you’re curious, GasBuddy price reports indicate the cheapest gas station in Tennessee was priced at $2.64/g yesterday while the most expensive was $4.11/g, a difference of $1.47/g. The cheapest gas was found at two locations in Memphis, Tennessee on Sunday and early Monday morning… Costco and Sam’s Club both had gas priced at $2.64 per gallon (regular unleaded). Coming in as the third cheapest, Rigsbys in Tazwell, Tennessee at $2.69 per gallon.
Cheapest in Rutherford County: In Rutherford County, GasBuddy reports the cheapest gas can be found at Circle K on Nissan Drive in Smyrna, where gas was priced at $2.83 per gallon around 5AM on Monday. The second lowest price of regular unleaded fuel in Rutherford County was recorded last night and this morning at Costco and Sam’s Club, both offering regular unleaded fuel at $2.84.
The national average price of gasoline has risen 3.5 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $3.36/g today. The national average is down 6.5 cents per gallon from a month ago and stands 69.3 cents per gallon lower than a year ago, according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million weekly price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country.
Historical Gas Prices in TN and the U.S. average - - What was gas priced at 10-years ago? Here's a look at the 10-year average on March 6:
- March 6, 2022: $3.87/g (U.S. Average: $4.06/g)
- March 6, 2021: $2.54/g (U.S. Average: $2.77/g)
- March 6, 2020: $2.13/g (U.S. Average: $2.39/g)
- March 6, 2019: $2.26/g (U.S. Average: $2.45/g)
- March 6, 2018: $2.30/g (U.S. Average: $2.53/g)
- March 6, 2017: $2.06/g (U.S. Average: $2.31/g)
- March 6, 2016: $1.59/g (U.S. Average: $1.81/g)
- March 6, 2015: $2.22/g (U.S. Average: $2.46/g)
- March 6, 2014: $3.21/g (U.S. Average: $3.47/g)
- March 6, 2013: $3.55/g (U.S. Average: $3.72/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Chattanooga- $2.97/g, up 7.3 cents per gallon from last week's $2.89/g.
- Nashville- $3.07/g, up 4.4 cents per gallon from last week's $3.03/g.
- Huntsville- $2.99/g, down 1.8 cents per gallon from last week's $3.01/g.
"The national average rose last week as the transition to summer gasoline has now started across the entire country. The higher cost of these various blends is being passed along to motorists, as we see every year ahead of the summer driving season," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "Some regions are moving to the required summer gasoline in different steps then others, and the fragmentation of required blends absolutely plays a role in these price increases. Logistical challenges in making the transition during a time when refiners are also doing maintenance work can create hotspots and lead to noticeable jumps in prices during the spring. While we may not see weekly increases, the overall trend will remain upward through much of the spring. By Memorial Day, most of the nation will be transitioned to their respective required blend of fuel, and gas prices could ease, but a $4 per gallon national average remains possible by then."
Source: GasBuddy is the authoritative voice for gas prices and the only source for station-level data. GasBuddy's survey updates 288 times every day from the most diverse list of sources covering nearly 150,000 stations nationwide, the most comprehensive and up-to-date in the country. GasBuddy data is accessible at http://prices.GasBuddy.com.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- TN National Guard: Smyrna’s 45th Civil Support Team changes command
- UPDATE on a Friday Fire in Murfreesboro
- Former Banker Bob Murfree Passes Away on His Birthday
- THIS WEEK: TN Volunteer Firefighters Week
- Man Convicted in 2017 Murder Sentenced in Rutherford Co.
- Man Convicted in Murfreesboro Rape Case Sentenced to 17-Years