RUTHERFORD COUNTY, TN – A garbage truck caught fire on Monday morning along I-24 East at exit 80, the New Salem Highway. The burning truck was reported at 9:03 AM in the morning and emergency crews had to block all lanes of traffic on the eastbound side as the truck burned. One driver described the situation to WGNS, “The smell was horrific, if you can imagine the stench of a burning garbage truck.”
Multiple emergency responders arrived on the scene within minutes to include both the City of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County Fire & Rescue Departments, Murfreesboro Police, TDOT Safety Trucks, the THP and the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office. When Murfreesboro Fire arrived on the scene, the trash truck was fully involved in flames. MFRD Firefighters doused the flames using a ladder truck and hand lines.
The driver of the truck told firefighters she saw fire, pulled to the shoulder of the interstate, and got out. The driver was not hurt. As of Monday evening, the cause of the fire has not been determined.
Reports indicate the smoke could be scene from miles away. To the east of the incident, WGNS received calls about smoke billowing so thick it could be seen from Joe B. Jackson Parkway. From the opposite end, the smoke could easily be seen from Old Fort Parkway and beyond. Interstate 24 towards Chattanooga was shut down for a few hours while firefighters extinguished the blaze and as the wreckage was removed. But the overall good news... there were no injuries associated with the fire.
Fire personnel with Ladder 11, Engine 5, Engine 7, Engine 9, Rescue 1, Rescue 11, Battalion Chief 2, Safety 1 and 2 assisted with the fire. Several administrative staff members also responded to the fire. Rutherford County Fire & Rescue Department sent to tanker trucks to assist with water supply.
Additional WGNS News Headlines:
- Garbage Truck Catches Fire on I-24 in Murfreesboro
- Smithville Fiddlers' Jamboree and Crafts Festival - 2023 Miss Jamboree Announced
- Man Reportedly Jumps to his Death at BNA Nashville Airport
- COMMENTARY: Where do you get your medical advice? Online?
- Banning Books at Libraries in Local Communities
- Mills Family Pharmacy Now Offering Hog Wash BBQ Sauce in their Gift Shop
- The Dedication of a Monument at Evergreen Cemetery to Honor Early Slaves in Murfreesboro
- Middle TN Man Arrested on Tax Charges – Previously Operated at least 2-Restaurants in Rutherford Co.
- UPDATE: Two Men Convicted of Multiple Armed Robberies – Some in Rutherford Co.
- LISTEN to WGNS "LIVE" Online - Click Here to Tune Into WGNS Now